Looking for some great books to read? Mind if I make some recommendations?
To those who know me well, it’s no surprise that I love to read. And in recent years, I’ve seen so many helpful books become available to the Church that I decided to list some of my favorites. Many more could certainly be added, and the following ones aren’t listed in any particular order within each category.
Speaking of categories, I’ve chosen five. There are important reasons why I like each of these books, and I could write long paragraphs describing their influence on me over the years (and some over the last few months). But to avoid a ridiculously long blog post, you’ll see only the titles and author of each.
One other note: these are modern Christian books, some of them recent classics. This list is not meant to exclude the many great works by the Puritans or even the Church Fathers for that matter. I intentionally fashioned a list of books published from the mid-1900’s onward.
I hope you’ll consider buying some (many? all?) of what you see below. You might not agree with every conclusion the authors make (just as I don’t), but I’m confident that their great contribution far outweighs their weaknesses. Happy reading!
Understanding the Bible
(1) From Eden to the New Jerusalem, by T. D. Alexander
(2) God’s Glory in Salvation Through Judgment, by James M. Hamilton
(3) Desiring God, by John Piper
(4) Don’t Waste Your Life, by John Piper
(5) Tempted and Tried, by Russell Moore
(6) Knowing God, by J. I. Packer
(7) The Prodigal God, by Tim Keller
(8) God Is the Gospel, by John Piper
(9) The Gospel Is For Christians, by Mitchell Chase
The Church and Its Mission
(10) Let the Nations Be Glad, by John Piper
(11) Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, by J. I. Packer
(12) Why We Love the Church, by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck
(13) Systematic Theology, by Wayne Grudem
(14) Election and Free Will, by Robert Peterson
(15) The Holiness of God, by R. C. Sproul
(16) The Person of Christ, by Donald Macleod
(17) Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, by Bruce Ware
(18) The End Times Made Simple, by Samuel Waldron
(19) Mere Christianity, by C. S. Lewis
(20) The Reason For God, by Tim Keller