Amidst the joys of having a child, there are frightening personal lessons I have experienced in the past six weeks. The lessons are spiritual in nature and expose oversights and underestimations in my character.
(1) I am even more selfish than I feared I was
(2) I can treat sleep like an idol
(3) I can easily neglect spending time with my wife for things I deem more important at the time
(4) I can become impatient and frustrated far too easily at times
(5) Continual personal sacrifice is easier said than done
Do these lessons resonate with anyone else? What other spiritual weaknesses has the Spirit exposed in you through the venture of parenting?
The answer to my weaknesses is constant yielding to the Spirit, in the prayerful hope that the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23) will overcome my fleshly tendencies. As a Christian father, I especially need kindness, gentleness, self-control, and patience…